Question
Posted by: rmxcraven | 2004/02/19

X ray advice needed

I have a pain in my lower back on the right hand side. I have gone for x rays and would appreciate some indication as to what they mean. The following comment is on the X ray :
Differential Calibre of the right proximal ureter is seen versus left to the level of the pelvic brim. within the pelvis the calibre of the ureter appears normal. No right sided calyceal clubbing or hold-up is seen. The features may relate to extrinsic compression of the right ureter probably related to vasculature.
However in view of the haematuria and right flank pain further assesment by retrograde pyelogram may prove useful.

Your assistance with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Rmxcraven, it says that the right ureter (tube from kidney to bladder) differs in size from the left in the upper half. The think this is due to blood vessels pressing on it from the outside, but that advise further tests because there is blood in your urine. Let me know if you have more questions. Please post them as new questions to ensure that I get them. Good luck.