Question
Posted by: Stash | 2007/05/08

X-Jack russell/Corgi getting fits

My 8 year old female gets fits, and the vet said we must just talk her through it, and try to keep her comfortable and calm. Is there anything she can take to prevent it? It happens when she stresses due to lightning, crackers, or when she gets very excited (sometimes when I come back from work)
Tks for your help
Stash

Depending upon the cause of the fits it may be possible to control them using medication. Usually the animal is put on a dose and then the blood levels are checked about a month later and the dose modified accordingly. If it is initially too high the animal will be very drowsy. Your vet should be able to help you with the treatment and monitoring.