Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2007/05/11

Writing a journal

Dear Cybershrink

How beneficial is it to keep a journal, back in the days I use to write poems, write my heart out but lately I just start for 2 days and then stop, is it cause I am to scared to let my emotions out, what could keep me back in wanting to write, I have enough time and spend most of the time in my thoughts so why be reluctant to write.

Maybe I judge my writing style or my handwritting - I dont know .... I know its beneficial to write...

Hmm. Why, do you think, keeping a journal actually helps ? FOr many it seems to be the process of translating feelings and thoughts from IN HERE to OUT THERE, and then, being able to more objectively see them, having expressed them in that more concrete form. As you used to write so freelly, it doesn't sound likely that you're scared to express your emotions generally, but maybe there are some specific ideas or emotions brewing which you hesitate to see and examine in print ? And to avoid thecontent, you can easily become over-fussy about the style or appearance of what you write, which are the least relevant aspects of this process.
And FB ? Sometimes those of us who are very organized in how we think and in what we do, find simply freelly writing whatever comes to mind, very difficult to start doing --- we prefer to have a topic set for us by circumstances, ro by someone else, or to have a set agenda ; maybe other exercises in spontaneity might help ?

2
Posted by: Foxybrown | 2007/05/11

Quite right CS.

I suppose some (nerdish, zitty) part of me still relishes the classroom thrill of 'the project', 'the essay' or whatever the case might have been. Back then I received instruction on what to write and quite simply, I then wrote. Now all grown-up and free to commission myself to scribe, rather than be commissioned, I suffer writers' block.

Perhaps I shd write on the angst of not being able to write!!!!

it is, after all, a topic... :)

Reply to Foxybrown
Posted by: Foxybrown | 2007/05/11

I am in a very simlilar position and hope to hear what CS has to say on this one. Mine is a case of wanting to write but not knowing what.

Reply to Foxybrown