Posted by: Lee | 2008/08/05

Wrinkly tummy

Hi Dr.

I am in my fifties, I am slim and have a well-toned tummy and have always been quite proud of it! I now notice that the skin below my belly button is becoming sort of wrinkly. What can be done about it?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Lee, thank you for the question.

You have both surgical and non surgical options, but from the way you describe the wrinkles, I believe that surgery will be overkill.
My advice to a non surgical approach would be to combine the following to achieve optimal results:
Topical products that contain glycolic acid and polyhydroxy acids, anti-oxidants, and a good SPF 15 or higher that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
Glycolic acid peels
Skin tightening: Syneron Refirme, Thermage, or Titan.

Posted by: Lee | 2008/08/19

Thanks Doctor but I was just wondering whether needling will help at all to tighten the skin.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Dr Alek Nikolic | 2008/08/07

Hi Lee
I am a firm believer in NeoStrata products (and this is just my personal preference) as they contain ingredients that have been shown to not only enhance the skin but also provide ‘ anti-ageing’  effects. Other good brands to look for are Environ, Nimue, Skin Nutrition, La Prairie, Dr Perricone, etc.
With NeoStrata I would recommend the following:
Ultra Smoothing Lotion for 1 month and then move on to High Potency Cream
Heliocare Gel SPF 50 –  especially through summer
NeoStrata Peel Regime with Citric acid booster pads

NeoStrata products are only available from doctor’ s who dispense this range and more information on the closest doctor to you can be obtained from Genop Healthcare: 011 545 6600.

Reply to Dr Alek Nikolic
Posted by: Lee | 2008/08/07

Thank you Dr. but please could you specify exactly which products (brands)you recommend and where they are available.
Thanks again

Reply to Lee