Posted by: Fiona | 2008/10/13

Wrinkles on decollotage area 32yrs old

Hi there,

Thanks for an informative forum! I am 32yrs old and have quite a few wrinkles on my decollotage area. I think from a combo of sun exposure in my youth and sleeping on my side. My mom and Gran also have it so it could be genetic too. What could I do to improve this area in terms of treatments i.e. dermabrasion and products to use. I recently started exfoliating and using a mask 1x a week, as well as an Elizabeth Arden Anti-Ageing serum each night followed by an average priced moisturiser. I use a SPF30 suncream during the day. I also try to avoid the sun now.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Fiona, thank you for the question and I am glad you are enjoying the forum.

The décolletage is a difficult area to treat and typically will respond best to combination treatments.
The use of sun avoidance and using SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide is your starting point. I would not use any rough exfoliation or scrubs/brushes in this area as it will disturb the acid mantle of the skin and will cause inflammatory damage.

I suggest the following topical regime:
Continue using the Elizabeth Arden serum at night
Use a glycolic acid containing facial wash (face, neck, and décolletage) – NeoStrata Clarifying Facial Wash (about R250.00)
Add a high strength alpha hydroxy acid twice daily to your moisturizing routine – NeoStrata Ultra Smoothing Body Lotion and once the skin can handle this one can move to the High Potency Lotion (about R300.00)
Monthly glycolic acid peels for 6 months and depending on the effect one can reduce them to every 2 to 3 months (typically one should be paying between R350.00 to R450.00/peel)

Furthermore I would consider adding the following to the above regime:

Skin rejuvenation: IPL + Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron eLight or eMax), laser (Fraxel, Palomar Starlux), or IPL (Palomar, Ellipse) and 3 to 5 sessions may be necessary (typically R950.00 to R1,500.00 per session)
Skin Tightening: Syneron, Thermage, or Titan.