Posted by: NIcole | 2008/09/30

Wrinkle Prevention

I was wondering if using Vaseline or an oily cream is effective for reducing wrinkles? I put it around my eyes every night before bed and wake up in the morning with my eyes looking quite fresh. Can this really prevent wrinkles or am i just wasting my time?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Nicole, thank you for the question.

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (or Oil) acts as a barrier on the skin and may with long term use actually cause dehydration. You need to consider a moisturizer that contains alphahydroxy acids and antioxidants to treat the wrinkles and my advice would be to add a monthly glycolic acid peel to your regime. The best way to prevent wrinkles is to consider using Botox especially in the areas around the eyes, frown and forehead.