Question
Posted by: Jaco | 2003/03/26

WOW Routine Substitutions and the truth about my "Boep"

I have just subscribed to the War On Wobbles and is really excited. I have been going to the gym religiously for the past 6 weeks and is very motivated at this stage, since I have already seen results, now I just need guidance to where I am going.

The one way I managed to stay focussed was to join classes and not just do the boring old routines. I find this more effective for me, since someone else is telling me to keep on pushing to the limit and I work out for longer periods of time. Now I need to know from you, can I substitute some of my cardio excursuses for these classes and which classes would you advise me to take. I have been doing spinning a lot (and enjoy squash as well)

Another question I would like to ask, I am quite overweight....well actually a lot and my mind is also finding it difficult to stay motivated. I think what is bothering me the most is my gut. Everywhere I read, there is only advice on how to build abs fast....problem being that I will have a six pack in no time, but nothing to show except for an inch of fat. I am seeing the results in all the places where I expect it the least (arms, legs and face), but the more important parts, well for me that is (gut, but and thighs), is struggling to take shape. Is my "boep" out there because the stomach muscles are not strong enough to keep it in place or am I just plain "big boned". I guess that if it is the latter, it will only be a matter of time.

BTW, this site is brilliant and I am glad to find people with a common interest...to get lean and mean....he he he,

Cheers
Jakes

Expert ImageArchive

Yes, certainly substitute classes for suggested workouts - go for some high energy options such as spinning, rowing classes, kick-boxing and others you enjoy.

Re your abs and thighs- give it time!
If you’ve resolved to have better abs and thighs- please remember these basic truths:

1. Spot-reducing is a myth. You can’t lose flab primarily from your abs just because you’re doing extra crunches. You lose fat pretty evenly throughout your body, over the course of time.

2. Fat trumps tone. Even if you work hard to tone your ab muscles, you won’t be able to see them if they’re covered by a layer of fat.

3. A well-rounded approach works. Your chances for success are best if you attack the problem from several angles: (1) eat fewer calories, (2) burn more calories by doing cardio workouts, (3)
increase your metabolism through strength training (the more muscle mass you have overall, the more calories you’ll burn), and (4) do crunches or other ab exercises as part of your strength-training routine.

4. Appreciate your personal best. Too many of us hope for the perfect abs of a magazine cover model. By taking a well-rounded approach, you can get abs that will make a big difference in your appearance – and your self-confidence.

Keep up with the programme and good luck!

2
Posted by: Sham | 2003/04/12

Hi there...I like the 1 to 4 points posted by fitnessDoc.Sound very true to me.Guess what...I am a woman of 30's and has been through 6 pregnancies...the eldest is 9 yrs and the last (for sure) is just 3 mths old. My weight is back to 55 kg from 62 kg just after 12 days of delivery...without doing anything. The 55 kg that I carrying after having my third baby is really bothering me...it makes me out of shape. Although from people impression that my for sure the sixth baby is my first one...judging that I look young and I just 3 kg over my ideal weight...but me myself knows that I am out of shape...I have flab here and there. So, right after the 6 weeks green light from my gynae, I start going to the gym doing cardio, strengh training, joining classes...very very religiously for the past 6 weeks. Surely I lost another 1.5 kg, a few cms here and there but the most important part...my abs or my tummy is struggling to take shape. I still look like 1 month pregnant when I am standing up and a heavy weight medal belt appear above my jeans while I am sitting down. So, if the result is still far or almost behind the deadline just remember the 4 POINTS esp the 3rd one from the Fitness Doc. Remember those points, you will never get frustrated.Good luck to those who are fighting to slice off the flab popping out above our jeans.

Cheers: Sham 11/04

Reply to Sham
Posted by: Jaco | 2003/03/27

Thanx for the advice....guess it took 24 years to get the way I am, I can not expect to loose it all in 7 weeks.

BTW, I purchased Bob Greene's, Get With the Program book on how to live a better life, physically and emotionally. If anyone is feeling that they just can not do it...that is your manual to a better life! He has been on Oprah (don't let that put you off) and his approach to weight loss and training is extremely realistic. He also explains everything and in no way does he ever discriminate.

Reply to Jaco