Question
Posted by: Lyn | 2005/07/26

would yoga be a problem??

Hi I am 38 yrs old and very keen to start yoga - i suffer from neck/back pain due to early disc degeneration - all I would like to know is if yoga would have a negative effect or a positive effect on this. I am scared to start because I did aerobics for a while and I really suffered with a stiff neck/back pain and so forth. Your advice is appreciated

Expert ImageYoga

Hi there Lyn - yoga will help you on a number of levels, starting with an increased ability to manage and deal with stress through control of your breathing - which has positive ramifications for the immune system.

But yoga does more than that. B.K.S. Iyengar, master of yoga's therapeutic applications, explains the benefits of yoga by means of what he calls its "squeezing and soaking" actions. He contends that through the process of squeezing out the old, stale blood or lymphatic fluids and soaking the area with fresh, oxygenated blood or fluids, yoga helps the body to utilize the nutrients it needs.

In addition yoga gives us confidence and stability as we move through the world. Many people suffer from weakened muscles (often from lack of use), poor posture, or arthritis. Yoga will improve posture and coordination, strengthen muscles, increase flexibility, and create balance - and it’s never too late to start... Try to find a local teacher that is experienced enough to be able to help you modify the practice in order to do it in a way that meets your requirements.

All the best
Chris