Question
Posted by: Frieda | 2004/11/08

Would hypnosis be effective for serious weightloss?

I'm interested in being hypnotized. I battle to lose weight and I suspect that I might have psychological barriers preventing me from losing weight and keeping it off. Could you recommend experts in this field?

Dear Frieda
Just being hypnotised will not properly remove these psychological barriers. I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you)to help you to firstly get to the bottom of these barriers and learn to cope with them, and then to hypnotise you to promote weight loss. Just having the hypnosis from an untrained individual will not solve the problem, but the combination of learning what exactly is causing you to turn to food as a crutch and hypnosis to prevent you overeating may well be the solution you need.