Question
Posted by: MaryAnne | 2003/12/05

Worried/Paranoid

My baby boy is now 19 months old. Whe he was about 9 he developed a runny tummy or very soft and frequent bowel movements. Two paeds attributed it to him being lactose intolerant. SInce then he's been on Soy formulars. The condition has not left him and at times the whole routine of loose stools begins. I try using interflora caps but it doesn't seem to make a difference. About a week ago he developed a rash all over his body. I also had a live in maid who may ahve passed away from Aids. I heard that sypmtoms often include a runny tummy and a rash. Could my baby hav egot anything from her. Should I have him tested anyway??? Please help...Oh he's also a bit overweight yet he has no appetite for food. He drinks roughly a litre of milk or combination of drinks at night hence he doesnot sleep well at all...

MaryAnne, I doubt that he has AIDS, as one would expect him to be under weight and sickly. The best would be to discuss your worries with your GP (who knows your background better than I do) and see what he has to say. Also tell him that your boy still has diarrhoea despite him not getting any dairy products and that we suspect a different form of intolerance or malabsorption syndrome. Good luck.