Question
Posted by: Ayanami | 2003/12/11

worried : sex...pills,timing,pregnancy & abortion

To the dear Doctor

I'm a 20 year old curiosity and paranoia driven child, please help by answering the questions below before my mind uneases itself into a fur ball :1) When I take the first half of the emergency contraception pill, can I have sex before taking the second half? And what is the impact of sex to the pill and my body if I do so?

2) On the home pregnancy kit I got it reads that it can detect pregnancy 2 days after unprotected sex, is that true?

3) My periods are sometimes irregular, so how will I know when the home pregnancy test is the most effective if I don't know when my period will start?

4) What is the process of abortion? What are the methods? How much does it cost? Please give full details!

5) My boyfriend tells me that he knows if there is pre-cum so he pulls out before he does cum, does a man always know when there is pre-cum?

6) Sometimes I get a weird growth or lump on my vagina, is it dangerous? It is gone now but was it a vaginal wart?

7) Sometimes my vagina looks like a road kill, it seems to be made of tiny ripples of skin, hard to describe, the lips look zig-zag like...is that normal?

8) Is it possible for a woman to orgasm from intercourse alone? I have never had an orgasm through intercourse, nor any other way with a man, is there something wrong with me?

9) I had sex a few days ago, am I able to take a home pregnancy test now? Will it be accurate?

10) Why is it that when I take the ECP my urine smells stronger and has a weird smell to it?

I would so appreciate it if you can please answer the questions above personally. I await your reply. Please thanks alot!

Ayanami

1) The emergency pill should be taken after an episode of unprotected sex. It will then prevent you from getting pregnant from that episode. If you have sex again after one or both of the pills, you will not be protected.
2) Pregnancy will only be detected a few days after a missed period, not after intercourse.
3)If your periods are very irregular, you may not be ovulating and therefore will not fall pregnant. If they vary by a few days, take the longest time period and do a pregnancy test if you have not had a period by then.
4)Abortion before 12 weeks involves a womb scrape. After 12weeks it involves taking tablets to start labour pains and then having a mini-labour and giving birth to the fetus which would not survive. Costs vary according to where it is done.
5)Pre-ejaculate contains sperm and you can fall pregnant from this. Men do not always know when to withdraw and this is not a reliable method of contraception.
6)I cannot make a diagnois without examining you. Next time you have the lump, see your doctor to make a diagnosis.
7)Very likely to be normal
8)Some women have orgasms with intercourse. Many need extra clitoral stimulation. Ask your partner to do this or try experimenting by yourself.
9)The time to do a pregnancy test does not relate to when you have had sex, but whether you miss a period or not.
10)I presume ECP is the emergency contracptive pill. I don' think thaq the change in your urine is related to this. If it persists, excude a bladder infection.