Question
Posted by: Mrs F | 2007/03/23

worried mom

I'm a mom of a 13yr boy. I sometimes dont understand his emotions because when I try to talk to him about something,be it his schoolwork,or his behaviour, he doesn't answer me and when I insist that he answer me,he starts to cry everytime. I told him to attend an xtra maths lesson,but he doesn't. Now its the school holidays & I'm telling him that he should attend, he refuses and started to cry. I'm becoming worried, pls help.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi worried mom,

at 13 many young people withdraw into themselves and find it hard to communicate on an emotional level - this is especially the case with boys.

he will need gentle encouragement as to what the problems are and you may need someone neutral to help talk with him - maybe an older sibling or a family friend he gets on well with may be able to ask him what is troubling him.

with regards to the extra maths i would suggest you back off for now, you can always approach this again when you have an understanding of what is bothering. i would also strongly suggest that extra lessons in his holiday are not a good idea at any time. children have holidays for a reason and all too often they are not allowed to be children and have to constanty worry about studying - allow him some space in this regard and keep extra lessons for term times would be my advice.