Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/09/27

Worried about pregnancy

hi

up until about 5 or 6 months ago, i had been taking the pill non stop for a few years. i took a break from taking it as i have already had two huge ovarian cysts removed, and i have taken a break from the pill during the month i had these removed (twice in one year). so for the past few months (not sure how long exactly, but at least 5 months i think) i have not taken the pill and have been using condoms with hubby.

when i dont take the pill i feel so much better. i have more energy, better sex drive, dont eat so much, and generally feel much better. i have been meaning to go and see my gynae to ask about the injection, but havent gotten around to it yet.

then, last month when my period came, i started taking the pill again to see how i would feel after the break. all was fine and we waited for a week before having unprotected sex. then a couple of day later, for 3 days i forgot to take the tablet in the morning cuz someone had put it away in the drawer. stupid i know, but it happened. then i had another period which was like a flipping fountain for almost 9 days. that period ended about a 10 days ago and i have not taken the pill since as i am now determined to get the injection as i just dont remember to take the darn thing. yesterday we had unprotected sex - do i need to be concerned i may have fallen pregnant?

i hope not as i dont want a baby. when can i test? what are the chances? i am hoping my body is not right for that yet cuz of being on the pill for so long, but i am worried as i have been off the pill for a few months, then took it again briefly, and now stopped again as i am going to see my gynae about alternatives.

thanks
Carol

It is unlikely that you are pregnant but still possible. I suggest you see your gynae as soon as possible and have a test done and then start on some plan afterwards. Meanwhile-condoms

2
Posted by: Carol | 2004/09/27

how long do i wait before i know i have missed a period? according to my caluculations, it will be in about 3 weeks time but i am irregular. i am worried sick because the last time i was at the gynae she said i am very fertile and everything is very healthy 'down there'. if i wait about a month and then get a home test, will that be about right?

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Delia | 2004/09/27

For some people, it takes about 3 months to fall pregnant after going off the pill, but I know of people, myself included, that have fallen pregnant in the same month of going off the pill. So there's a 50/50 chance that you could have been fertilised. A home test can be done after a missed period.

Reply to Delia