Question
Posted by: woried | 2006/07/17

Worried about chest area after accident

Hey doc

My sister and me were in a car accident 2 weeks ago, both wearing safety belts and she was the driver. We were taken too hospital for evaluation.

According to the X-rays there were no visible bone breakages in our chest areas. But both of us have a pain in our chest in the middle and towards the right (myself) and left (my sister). It is not that sore when I press on these areas, but feel pain when I cough, sneeze or move my upper body in certain ways. The doc who did the evaluation said it just because of the pressure on the chest area form the crash and seatbelt, and prescribed painkillers. Is this something to be worried about and can the pain last so long?

And after taken an ECG a second time he said he is a bit worried about the reading. Can this because of shock at that moment. I was previously admitted to hospital because of flu influencing my heart rate, and my grand parents on my mother’s side had both heart problems. Is this also something I should be worried about? And whom can I see about this?

Dear Worried
You probably injured the soft tissue of the chest and the ligaments and joints of the breastbone. One can get cardiac contusion due to Motor vehicle accidents, which may show on ECG, but he would probably refer you to a cardiologist if needed. The ligament injuries can take a few weeks to heal.