Question
Posted by: Natalie | 2012/08/26

Worried about Champix

I have recently been given the Champix pills by a doctor who I am not familiar with. I am living in a foreign country and so the doctor doesn''t know much about my medical history. I tried to explain but language was a massive barrier. I have been reading terrible reports about this drug! I am very nervous to start taking it. I tend to get side effects from strong drugs, especially the nausea. I have suffered from depression before but it was due to an event, not psychological issues. I am wondering if this might be an issue! I really don''t want to risk getting depressed again, or worse, contemplating suicide! I am on the other hand desperate to stop smoking and don''t think I can simply stop smoking cold turkey! Any advice and or comments would be helpful!

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

It sounds like you should get a second opinion on this, and perhaps Champix is not the best method at this point. You don't have to go cold turkey - you could consider nicotine patches for example. If you have been previously diagnosed with clinical depression, whatever the initial trigger, you are at increased risk for another episode, and where there is a history of depression doctors may decide against prescribing Champix. If you start having symptoms of depression, you should consult a doctor whether you are on Champix or not. I would suggest you get your medical history translated by a reputable translation company into the language of your host country.

1
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/08/30

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice