Question
Posted by: Elise | 2003/01/21

Worried about being Diabetic

I am extremely worried that I could be diabetic. I crave for sweet things all the time and after consuming all sorts of sweet things I find myself feeling fatigued.

Please could you tell me what the tell tale signs are of diabetes and what I should do?

Elise, this is from an article I wrote a while ago. You can mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za if you want me to send you the rest of it.
The following symptoms are associated with Diabetes mellitus.
1. Sudden weight loss.
2. Frequent passing of urine, i.e. you have to get up more than twice during the night to urinate.
3. Always thirsty, i.e. drinking more than 3 litres a day.
4. Chronic tiredness.
5. Chronic infections. Boils that a take long time to heal and recurrent vaginal infections are typical of untreated DM.
6. Blurring of vision that comes and goes.
7. Sometimes abdominal pain is the only symptom.
The best would be to fast for 12 hours (you’re only allowed to drink water) and have your sugar level tested at a clinic or pharmacy. If it is more than 6.1mmol/l you will have to see your doctor as you might have diabetes. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Mandy | 2003/01/21

Hi! Have you had a look at the A - Z of Diseases? It will give you the symptoms. If you are concerned go and have a blood glucose test at the pharmacy. I also have a very sweet tooth but am not diabetic.

Reply to Mandy