Question
Posted by: Pregnant and jobhunting | 2008/07/24

worried

Hello,

Please help me! This might not be a CS question but the problem is starting to affect me psychologically even though people just say it' s hormones.

I' m 20 weeks pregnant (5 months) with my tummy slightly showing. I have been searching for a job and now have a chance to get it because I have been called for an interview. Seeing that I' m going to be a single mom, I' m quite desperate to get something, not that I will settle for anything immoral or unethical though.
Anyway, do I tell the interviewers that I' m pregnant or not? My fear is that if I tell them, I might run a risk of being discriminated against regardless of the fact that I do have qualifications and skill for it. (I' ve seen how the corporate industry snubs pregnant women although this will be in a financial institution).
What must I do? And either way, what are the risks?
I thank you in advance!

Its a good question, though not one within my particular area of expertise. I don't think they're allowed to discriminate on the basis of pregnancy ( unless the job requirements would somehow be especially dangerous for a pregnant woman , which is highly unlikely in the financial world ) though I suppose they could find some other reason to avoid giving the job to a pregnant woman if they really wanted to. Call the Dept of Labour for more specific advice on the regulations and how to protect yourself from such discrimination. I suspect there could be problem if you DON'T disclose a health problem or even pregnancy if directly asked about it --- check that too

3
Posted by: BMJ | 2008/07/24

Put yourself in the company' s position - they just employ you and you go on maternity leave?

I would play open cards - perhaps at the second interview or once they offer you the job and you accept, to say you are 5 months pergnant. You would require maternity leave, but you are a single mom and because of your responsibilities, you would be commited to your job and to the company. If they offered you the job and then withdrew after you tell them you are pregnant, it is discrimination.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: Babe | 2008/07/24

I would say if they ask tell them - if they dont - then you also do not tell them. At my previous job a lady who was 6 months pregnant got the job and only told us of her pregnancy after she was appointed. Because she was already appointed they could not let her resign. Sly I know but think of your unborn baby.

Reply to Babe
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/24

I don' t think they' re allowed to discriminate against you, but your fear is valid. Why don' t you contact the dept of Labour and ask them what their take on it is?

Reply to Maria