Posted by: Lyla | 2008/07/03


I am very worried about my dad. Since he married my stepmother he has changed a lot. I really liked her in the beginning but are now having different thoughts about her. In front of my dad she "loves" me and my brother so much but behind our backs she's telling the rest of the family that we will never get anywhere in life etc. But that is not the main problem: the other day when he spoke to my brother on the phone he told him that "his happiness is now the most important thing and that he does not have time for his children at this stage in his life and that he does not want us to visit him". The things he say also does not sound like him, I would know because I've known him for 26 years now. It's like he is a different person. He also "loves" us the one day only not to want anything to do with us the next day. He also can't remember certain conversations he had with us and his mood changes all the time. He also phone us sometimes out of the blue accusing us of not accepting his wife and that we don't want him to be happy. Only to phone the next day telling us he is going to file for a divorce and that he is unhappy and he miss us so much. And then after a week phoning again and saying that he and his wife had talked things through and that he just didn't understand her and that she was right all along and then accusing us again that we don't want him to be happy. I'm sorry if this sounds confusing, but that's just what it is to me: confusing. Why is he acting this way? What could be wrong with him?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Surely you need to discuss this directly with your dad, preferably when she is not present --- to say that you feel alarmed that she is trying to drive his children away from him, and keep him purely for herself. ALl men are capable of being foolish, and an older man who may feel this is his last chance of a relationship with a women, is very capable of being foolish and ambivalent about it

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.