Question
Posted by: K | 2007/12/18

Worried

Hey

My good friend lost her boyfriend and first love in a car crash a year ago and since has been in a downward spiral. Everytime I see her sometime during that time she bursts into tears. She has put on a lot of weight as well. She has developed clingy behaviour especially to other guys and has become a lot more flirty and pormiscuous and usually hooks up (with some dodgy ones) but then cries and says she feels guilty afterwards. What can I do to help? I told her that she should speak to a professional and work through all the issues and then remember her boyfriend but get on with life because he would hate to see her living like this. She is still in contact with her boyf's family. Please help! I worry about what she's doing to herself and it's becoming harder to be there and be a good friend!

Sounds like a complicated grief problem, and as though she really needs some counselling / psychotherapy. Its unlikely you can specifically help other than by encouraging her to see an expert. Maybe her bf's family could also encourage her to do the same ?