Question
Posted by: sharns | 2006/04/02

worried

hey Diet doc just tested on a bmi calculator and it says my bmi is 15,3.I'm 17 and 5,65m tall my weight is 43kgs Is that dangerous if i'm suffering with bullimia?

Dear Sharns
I surmise that your height is 1,56 m, not 5,65 m otherwise you would be the tallest girl in SA! Any BMI reading below 18 is too low and I suspect that you are very thin. What is even more dangerous is the bulimia you say ou suffer from. Anorexia and bulimia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Go for expert help ASAP before this eating disorder ruins your teeth, your health and your young life.
Take great care