Question
Posted by: Shilo | 2004/11/03

Worried

Hi, I have a situation that is worrying me. I had a dermoid cyst removed about five years ago. It was so big that the gynae had to remove the left ovary. Last year I had another op and they discovered that my right ovary was overgrown with cysts, but I was fortunate that they could keep the ovary and tubes in tact. The gynae said my chances of falling pregnant was still good. I am however, everymonth, around about the time that I should be ovulating, experiencing strong pains on my right side of my tummy. It is sometimes quite painful, but it goes away after a day or two. I have been to a GP and he can't see any cysts. I am 32 years old already and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year now. I please need to know from you 1) what are my chances of falling pregnant with just one ovary; 2) how do I know if I get cysts - is the scan good enough to check; and 3) why do I suffer from pains every month? Thank you very much.

If the pain only occurs with ovulation, it is probably ovulation pain, which is experienced by many women. The scan is sufficient to exclude cysts, provided that your GP is an experienced scanner. Your chances of conceiving should not be much reduced by only having one ovary. However, as you have been tryiong for a year, you should see a gynaecologist for further investigation.