Question
Posted by: Inbred | 2004/10/20

Worried

My moms family was VERY intermarried and I inherited alot of defects from her side of the family (born with no immune system, epilepsy, asthma, sun allergy etc...)

My husband really wants children, but I'm too afraid to get pregnant incase he/she inherits all this inbred DNA from me. My mom married completely outside her family and so did I, but I'm still concerned about the risk of passing on any of these defects.

Is it possible to prevent any of these deseases through treatment??

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Inbred

I was very sorry to learn about all your medical problems. A child receives 50% of its genetic material from each parent, so that the group of defective genes which you mention will be diluted in each successive generation.
Your children will be at risk, but it is very unlikely that they will have all the complications that you experience. Complete prevention is not possible, but medical treatment is constantly improving and it will be increasingly feasible to control many of the problems which you mention.

Regards, Maritha