Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/23

Worms or bowel secretions?

Sorry, I know this is not a nice subject.
I've always had loose bowels, unlike most women I know, who suffer from constipation. It's never bothered me until lately. I need to get to the toilet quickly 3 or 4 times a day. I avoid fibrous food like spinach, but I still find mucous covered stringy things in my stools. I don't think they're worms, but maybe they could be? My stomach burns & I feel slightly nauseous. I've been feeling very tired, shaky & anxious for the last week, though my blood pressure is only 150/88. Could I be dehydrating, or maybe have worms?

Carol, I doubt that it is due to dehydration or worms, but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to check your stools for worms. If you see anything that looks suspicious, you can get Zentel® from the pharmacy.
From this side of the screen it sounds like you might have irritable bowel syndrome, a mild malabsorption problem, too much stress or even a thyroid problem. The best would be to see a gastroenterologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.