Question
Posted by: Mary | 2007/03/13

Workplace seating

We have all been given new chairs at work as I have a Special
Need to have a chair that will support my back as I have a prothesis after having a Spinal Fusion and Laminectomy.

I was told take it or leave it as there is nothing they are prepared to do. I have been sitting on a chair for years which hardly gives me support for my back.

This is a major media corporation and I think surely there must
be some sort of person I can contact to negiotiate a chair for
my back.

The new chair pulls my back into an arch and when I stand up
my muscles are so tight I can hardly move into a walking position.

Your comments and recommendation will be appreciated.

Regards Mary

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Mary, please see either of an occupational medicine consultant,physio,orthopaedic surgeon. They will assess your situation and writa note to the employer. Depending on the circumstances the employer must respond by way of a health risk assessment and act upon the findings emanating therefrom. Good luck!