Question
Posted by: Sal | 2007/07/31

Workplace difficulty

hello guys, i am SAL. i have recently lost my job because i lost my sight. what can i do? as you can see i have software to help me overcome my disability...

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Dear Sal

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I am sorry to learn about your misfortune. It is good to hear that you have the will to work and to continue living a full life, despite your disability.

If you can advise me in which field you were working in previously, I might be able to direct you about the options available to you. A friend of mine also lost her sight and she is currently working as a Switch Board Operator at ABSA Bank. She is even allowed to take her guide dog to work.

On receipt of your reply, I will do my best to assist you.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: AngelFace | 2007/09/06

A company can not just dimiss you because of your disability
The law require them to use reasonable accomodation to help you cope in your current job (unless if your job relie fully on your sight ) e.g diamond sorting, visual midea ens if that is not an option they are required to retrain you in another position. they can only terminate your services if a valid reason that was discussed with you are given.

Check out most of the Employment acts or consult the DPSA Disabled People Of SA, they will give you more info.
Disabled people should learn that these companies are not doing us a favour by emploing us.

Reply to AngelFace