Question
Posted by: Marie | 2004/10/04

Workout splitting

Hi Fitness Doc,

Thanks for a brilliant forum, very interesting. Please advise me on the following. As I am now in preparation for a big event, I anticipate to cross-train and have split up my total workout time per day to the following:
Mornings - Road Cycling (60 min)
Midday - Resistance/Weights (30 min)
Evening - Swimming (30 min)

I will also swop sessions around and replace the road cycling with spinning occasionally. (Been spinning for a year now)

Is this too much or to little to be doing on a daily basis, six out of seven days. Should I rather focus on cycling for 2hours on a monday etc? I normally have one "complete" rest day without ANY exercise.

I am pretty fit with a MHR = 60, just scared to come down with injury again (ITB, the usual runner injuries). Although I have decided to stop running for now.

I will really appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks in advance
Marie

Hi Marie

It's certainly not too little - if you add up, then you are doing 2 horus a day and if you just read around, you will see that this is way more than most people will do in a week! So, I certainly would not say you are underdone. It is a demanding schedule and you do say you are fit, but i would caution against leapiing into this type of training without substantial 'base' fitness first. It can very easily cause injury, and I'm not sure how you training one or two months ago, this is important because if you were relatively unfit, then it's quite a leap. HOwever, assuming that you are fit, then what you are doing is probably manageable. I do think that doing this every day is too much though. What I would do, for both performance and for fitness is to do 2 or 3 days a week like this, where you do all three disciplines. This is ideal for preparation for any sort of event where you do alternate activities, like adventure racing, or triathlon (I'm not sure what you big even is?)

The other 3 days, you can focus on either one or two activities, and perhaps cut out the resistance training in the midday slot. This will allow you to do some quality work - there is no doubt that if you are training for an event that requires you to cycle for more than 2 hours, you will have to do this in training, and so I would definitely say that you would benefit from one day a week at least where you go out and just ride, and then rest for the afternoon to allow better recovery.

And lastly, keep that complete rest day in there, it is absolutely vital and is definitely the most important day of the week - you may not realise that, but if you were to train, you would soon see how important rest is.

GOod luck with your event