Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2007/07/17

Working mom breastfeeding baby

I'm pegnant now and it is still a while before my baby will be born. My husband and I are in a situation now that we can't afford for me not to work. We decided to take at least one month maternity leave after the birth of our baby. I really wanted to breastfeed and will still do so even if I only take one month maternity leave. I will then pump out the milk and maybe breastfeed in the evenings if possible. What I actually want to know is if there will be milk if I stop breastfeeding. I know the more you breastfeed the more milk is produced. Will this be the same when I use a pump?? I really want my baby to have breastmilk and not formula. I'm worried now that the milk will dry up after a while when I start using a pump. Will this happen?? Should I use vitamins to keep the milk from drying up?? I know it is not good to only take one month maternity leave, but I really don't have a choice and luckily my mom stays closeby. She will be looking after baby when I'm at work. I'm also worried about the bonding. My sister said she started working in the first month with both her kids, and she doesn't have any bonding problems with them. Will my baby know I'm his / her mother??

Dear Jenn

Although I am not an expert on breastfeeding and bonding I believe that you will not suffer any major consequence with using the breast pump provided that in the initial stages adequate latching and suckling occurs.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/07/17

maybe you should post this on the pregnancy forum.

Reply to Dee