Posted by: Louise | 2008/06/23

Working long hours affects me

At my work we are obliged to work 10 and 11 hour days during the week, including many Saturdays(shorter hours on Saturdays). This does not include the hours I spend travelling to and from work. I am exhausted, as I have to do my own housework, cook and iron. Then I run a small business on the side, and I am also studying towards a degree. Further I have to keep my husband happy. I don't know when last I cooked - the last veggies I bought has rotted in my fridge. I am exhausted. This Saturday I was my day off. I planned to do some cleaning as my house is really a health risk, with me already picking up ringworm. I was so not used to being in my house during daytime - I was confused and unable to focus. I ended up standing in the kitchen from 7 am to 14h00 just watching the mess and feeling paralysed. In the end I just washed the dished and my mum came over the following day to wash the floor.
How can I explain to my employer - a huge national insurance company - that I cannot work the same overtime hours as the other people with maids doing their cleaning and cooking and who has nothing to do other than watch TV at home. They do not make a distinction based on our personel lives and everybody is expected to work the same hours.
At this stage I cannot resign due to having poor qualifications and the current price increases. I do plan to do so in a few years when I have completed my degree.
I would appreciate any words of advice.

The distinction between people with and wiothout maids is a valid one ; and employers ought not to expect long hours as a routine, rather than only in emergencies. And of course they muct realize that if you're already working flat out, you don't have anything extra to give in an emergency. Is your extra business profitable enough to balance what it takes out of your rest time ? At least the degree will give you more degrees of freedom

Posted by: Susie | 2008/06/24

I wonder if you really need to have your small business on the side right now, if so then you should afford yourself a maid. You sound if you take on all the responsibility - what does hubby to help out around the house?

If you carry on this way, you will one day suffer some sort of collapse and then what will you do. Money is not eveything, but your health is!!! Down size or find some other way to make life easier for you, nobody can cope with all of the above in the long run!

Reply to Susie
Posted by: TP | 2008/06/24

U can get a maid who works twice a week.

Reply to TP
Posted by: Maria | 2008/06/23

It sounds as if they are making you work more hours than is legal? Have you consulted your HR department or Department of Labour about this? Do you at least get paid overtime? That money could be used for a maid...

Reply to Maria