Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2008/07/11

Work Type

I need your opinion on types of work cause I think I'm in the wrong line of work.

I've started in a technical field recently, and I find it soooo frustrating to sit and stare at the PC the whole day. I check a system (database) for errors and update it now and again. I also have to draw technical drawings which I don't really know anything about. But it is not a dynamic environment.

However, I've never really believed in my work abilities. Always had a feeling that I'm not clever enough etc. But now I'm thinking that even though I think that (and it is wrong) at least I should be in an environment where things happen at a more interesting pace.

The technical guys can sit and stare the whole day at the pc and do their plans and stuff. I don't have the drive for this and it is not that I'm young anymore - 40 female. I also dont' earn a technical salary etc so basically I'm not enjoying my environment and is permanently frustrated and I don't earn enough - I think for my age.

I'm a bit fed up. I'm not sure what type of jobs there are out there that one can try for that would provide more people stimulation. I love being mobile.

I have been suffering from depression for the last few years and feel i'm coming out of it slowly so I'm also scared to make a change.

help

Psychologists can do tests which give you useful scores for both what you are actually interested in, and what your skills suit you for, and this could give you the guidance you're wanting. Some psychologists specialize in such vocational guidance, and this would give you a better basis for making the sort of decisions you're considering. As you say, be aware of your achievement in coming out of a depression, but so make a thoughtful and informed decision rther than a hasty one

4
Posted by: Just read your post | 2008/07/11

thanks Ulia, the only people that can be truely happy are those who work for themselves. they dictate everything.

Reply to Just read your post
Posted by: Ulia | 2008/07/11

Just read your post has said exactly what I was thinking. even if we earn more money, sometimes it just isn't enough because everything is relative. whether you a doctor, lawyer, typist, clerk, we all must get bored in our jobs.Very few people can be ecstatic getting up to go to work.

Reply to Ulia
Posted by: just read your post | 2008/07/11

Hi Frustrated,

let me tell you something - YOU are not alone on this. Ok, so I'm a bit younger than you. Ok, maybe a lot younger (29).

I have been in the same position since 1998 and my salary has spiked a lot since but I feel bored, I can honestly tell you that I could do my work in my sleep.

I was a contractor at first and use to ask huge amounts for increases and they always gave it to me. I'm in a position to ask for it as I'm the only one doing it at the company.

In fact, I contacted my account manager yesterday and told her that I want a job somewhere else. She replied by saying that they would give me a BIG bonus (over R10000) at the end of July for me to stay.

I don't understand it as I use to ask for money to get more (to support my family), now that I earn a lot I want something else. I got divorced in March this year so it might be that.

Having more money is not the answer. You need to be happy with what you are doing. I have arranged a meeting for Monday to see where I can go.

Reply to just read your post
Posted by: Ulia | 2008/07/11

Dear frustrated, i am also 40+ and sit staring at my PC the whole day knowing that there must be something else that could stimulate me.This is so boring and i look at the clock all day long until time to go home.I just feel that at my age its too late to change, what can I possibly do now to make work life more fruitful.I also suffer depression.Don't you think work is boring for most of us?

Reply to Ulia