Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2004/10/11

Work stress with lots of money

Hi everyone

Please help im going crazy. I have been in this employer for 5 months now. Its my second job. I get paid very well but its so hectic u dont wanna know. I always have atleast a 12 hour day and am expected to do extra overtime hours by my boss and we dont get paid for it. I dont mind working hard, im only 26 BUT my boss is not making matters better, She's forever putting us down, critisizing and will make corrections in your work until u r blue in the face. I hate re working something 100 times as she expects us to do things not according to our professional judgement but her way. I am forever stressed out and i am actually very depressed rite now. Everybody i talk to tell me to "welcome to the real world" and they say atleast u r being paid well. Sometimes i even dream about work, im forever tired, My question is: Is it really worth it? I m confused,,,,pls dont say im the one that must decide i need ur advice and opinions on this. Must we burn ourselves out for money even though we r unhappy???Is this what life is all about? How long will i keep up with her bitchiness?Mind u its a very classy and professional environment. I am actually being envied by my friends but its too hot in here...

Sounds like an all-too-typical species of Bad Boss, incapable of good management, or motivating people, and making unneeded corrections just to try to seem clever. Sad, really.
Sounds like one of those people who don't really know what they want, and incapable of telling you clearly what they want, but as soon as they see anyone's perfectly reasonable work, they decide they want something else, which they didn't ask for in the first place.
OK, being harrassed and overworked for good pay is indeed much better than being harassed and over-worked on poor pay, but only you can decide if it's worth it.
Interesting question, though. If you took a group of people really happy in their work, and said : would you accept twice the salary if we have you a loust, unkind and unreasonable boss, and unreasonable work stress --- how many would accept ? Or how much extra pay would they demand before they'd be prepared to accept it ?
Isn't there a division in the company supposed to deal with staffing problems ? And Shaun's suggestions make a whole lot of sense here.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/11

Hi Nicole,

From what you say above it seems to be a very fast paced environment that you're working in? Never-the-less, there are basic conditions for working as laid down by SA law & this is set as a guide-line.
You should get in touch with your Manpower & get the related facts, as well as your company's basic conditions of employment. These will show you what you are entitled to, & what the procedeures are to follow when you have a grievance.
It could be that because of your work environment that she has certain "relaxation orders" in place, but as far as I know, you cannot get this on the standard working hours. Also make sure you scrutinise your employment contract, & your job description to see exactly what you're supposed to be doing & what is expected of you.

Also remember that now & then we get those bosses that just push & push because we allow them to. Sometimes we just have to stand up to them, but be within your rights.

Good luck Nicole,
Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun