Question
Posted by: Stressed | 2005/12/10

Work stress is making me depressed ?

I have a very stressful job, have to work with difficult partners and situations. In the last month its been very bad, so much so that I start to focus on sad things in my life. I neverwas a smoker but this job made me a smoker. I focus all the time on what is negative, I fear going to work, what can I do ? Cannot see a therapist if someone finds out they will get rid of me because of the nature of my work.

Well, the smoking may be the most dangerous aspect of this problem. Obviously I don't know the nature of your work, but (a) no employer is allowed, by law, to sack or demote or in any way prejudice any worker for having health problems, including psychological and stress-related problms; and (b) they would, anyway, have to be exceedingly stupid to do so, because while all normal people have problems like this at time, what they need is people who seek treatment and advice when they need it, not people too scared to do so, who hide their problems and bottle up their stress till more serious problems arise. If for whatever reason the work is considered very highly sensitive, then your employers are irresponsibly and disgracefully negligent if they don't provide free counselling and psych assistance to all of their employees, with a shrink they contract with, who they are confident they can trust.
You can see a therapist / counsellor ( preferably one with a CBT-approach ) in your own time, and this need involve disclosing nothing sensitive about your work --- but even a few sessiosn of CBT counselling could greatlty help you to relax and work more effectively and efficiently.