Question
Posted by: NB | 2007/04/05

Work stress

I've been growing increasingly frustrated with work lately. My job has always been fairly stressful, but lately, everyone seems to be slacking off, there's tardiness and just plain absenteeism (I think its because of the public holidays), leaving the rest of us to pick up behind them. This increases the pressure (unnecessarily, in my opinion, because there are employees and resources who can do the work).

Management is somewhat "soft" and the attitude is that ultimately the work needs to get done, so instead of reprimanding employees or making them accountable for their work, they simply spread the work out amongst those of us employees who do actually come to work. At the moment, everyone is spread really thin. I've always been very assertive and would speak my mind if I thought someone was not pulling their weight. However, I now feel that I do not want to be the one complaining. It always happens that people complain and moan about their workloads behind their bosses backs, but when an opportunity is raised to talk about it, there is no solidarity amongst the employees and no one speaks up. All there is is resounding silence.

I'm really frustrated at the moment and I do not think that it is realistic to leave; rather the issue should be addressed. Or am I fighting a losing battle? Any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

What you describe is a sadly common situation within far too many businesses, and also strongly suggests weak and careless management. What this daft style of management does ( generally mnagers desperate to be liked, especially by the wrong people ) is to punish those who work well, and reward the lazy and dishonest. Isn't their an HR dept of dividion that ought to be dealing with this, if you raise it ?

1
Posted by: NB | 2007/04/05

Thank you for your reply CS.
Unfortunately, we don't have a formal "HR" and the people who are responsible, just don't care.

Bottom line, is what is being dealt with and as long as there are results at the end of the day, no one cares how the results actually came about.

Maybe I've just found the answer to my dilemma and I should probably be exploring other options.

Once again, thank you CS.

Reply to NB