Question
Posted by: enigma | 2007/12/18

Work situation

I work as a product manager for an international brand. My company is local and own the rights to this brand. I have helped grow the brand into a dominant force in SA. My dillema is that they take advantage of a person. I work late hours, am hardly allowed to take leave(as we are always busy). Dont get me wrong, I love what I do, and Pay is OK, but I do not get rewarded for the work that i do. But there is only so much you can do and so far that you can stretch yourself. I am totally exhausted, and I need a break, but this is impossible.
I am considering leaving, but have been working here for 8 years. Built up my career from scratch. And jobs in South Africa are like hens teeth, I dont know what to do....... Sorry, I know this is minor to alot of your problems. Thanks for helping

I've been in this sort of situation, and understand what you mean --- many organizations are only too ready to take advantage of able people. Is there an HR person or dept you could discuss this with ? Or is there a boss who would listen understandinglyif you described your feelings calmly, in the way you have expressed them here ?
You probably DO need and deserve a break --- have you asked for one ? Who is it who says this is impossible ? IS it perhaps you yourself who assumes it to be impossible, or do they formally turn down your formal requests for leave ? Have you been over-working so routinely they have come to expect it, or have they actually asked you to do all that extra work ?
And before discussing it with the relevant people, think through what you actually want. Some time off ? Normal working hours ? Leave ? More recognition of all you do ?

2
Posted by: Sun | 2007/12/18

Hi Enigma
I agree with Sue. Unless you discuss the issue with someone who is able to do something about the situation, nothing will be done. As CS says, are you asked to do the extra work? All of us work additional time but it must not become the norm. Make that appointment with your superior, if he/she cant see you, go one step higher. You are obviously valued and as such someone has to listen.

Reply to Sun
Posted by: Sue | 2007/12/18

Why dont you discuss this with them in a diplomatic way? Try and come to an arrangement with them. They cant smell that you feeling like this

Reply to Sue