Question
Posted by: Disgruntled | 2004/11/08

Work Colleague walking all over me

Hello,

I have a problem with this man at work. I am at my wits end, I don't know what to do anymore! We do not work in the same department, but we have to work together in a chain of events. In this chain, my work is first and last. He is in the middle. He is never on time. He always delays work. He constantly complains that he has to come in over weekends to finish his work (and thus winning awards of excellent work), but if you look for him in his office during the week, he is never to be found! Because he is always late, I am always late, and it reflects badly on me. I have had countless arguments with him, where he will just raise his voice and talk over me. I have pleaded with my manager to help me, but he says I must keep the peace and just work together with him. Many other people (including our customers) turn to me out of frustration with him - and I can't even count how many times I have ended up doing his work and leaving his name for signature so that things could get running. I have even made up a register for him to sign when I deliver things to be actioned (to cover myself)...We had to attend a meeting out of town about 2 weeks ago, and once again (he's only been at this monthly meeting once), he sent his apologies with me. I gave his apologies, but the chairman of the meeting sent out an e-mail to everyone that wasn't there, even if they had apologised. He then phoned me and accused me of not sending his apologies. But that's just drifitng away from the subject. There have been many complaints to his manager about him, but they are buddies, as are the people in the HR department. I've also heard rumors that he's under investigation for falsifying his qualifications. Isn't that fraud? No, he's so special, he gets to write the exam and get his qualification. No suspension, no hearings, nothing. He's already spoilt my monday, as a result of his bad planning causing me to do my work again. This time, I've done something on instruction by my manager which he refuses to accept (and how convenient that my manager is on leave)...I've been threatened to be reported to higher management because I refuse to change what my manager has told me to do. I'm ready to resign just because of him!

yes, if he falsified his qualifications that IS fraud, and grounds for dismissal, whoever he has as pals. And if he GOT the job claiming to already have qualification X, and only in fact got it a year or so later, that's still fraud. And those who know about it and cover it up, are guilty of aiding and abetting in fraud.
Don't resign, but stick to your principles and your own good work. Keep excllent records of each stage of the process, when work is given to him, and when he completes it ( or doesn't ). If he's usually not in his office during the week --- keep records of that, too. Wednesday, 2 pm, went to see X in his office. Not there. Asked his whereabouts, told they hadn't seen him that day". Is there any way to leapfrog over his pals, and speak to senior management ? Shaun makes the good point that this guy's day will come, and you'd probably like to be there when he achieves the downfall he has been working for all this time !

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/08

Hi D,

Quite a difficult situation you find yourself in. We have somebody like that here too. I still haven't found a good way of dealing with him, but I hang onto the though that his day will come.
The tough part is standing up for yourself to a degree that you alienate yourself from him, thereby making yourself unpopular with the rest of the company because he is such a favourite with everyone. But the amazing thing is that everyone also complains behind his back. Funny ain't it.
Sometimes it seems like he has bigger clout than our MD...

Anyway, I haven't got much positive to add, except to say that I understand what you must be going through. With me the hardest part is that being a sole provider I am forced to put up with it until another viable option presents itself.

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun