Question
Posted by: Twig | 2007/04/04

Work

I made a mistake at work and it has shattered me. I have to do it over and I’ve been trying very hard and can’t get it right. It feels as if bosses are never ever going to be satisfied. I have to hand the work in and I can’t. I’m starting from scratch over and over again and I’m getting nowhere. My whole body is shaking. It is so bad I can’t even hold a cup of coffee without spilling it. I go home at night and take a handful of pills just to forget what is going on. How can I put this mistake behind me and move on? Time is running out and it is affecting my whole life.

Sounds like your anxiety is interefering with your ability to do a task you're surely fully otherwise able to do. The pills are probably not helpful, just as drinking alcohol doesn't help in such situations. Chill a buit and try discussing this with your boss / supervisor, to get guidance on the best way for you to sort this out, maybe with some extra advice or help this time round. There is no reason to hate yourself or to seek punishment. EVERYBODY makes mistakes --- the only guy who never made a mistake, never atually did anything at all, and that's the biggest mistake of all.

7
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/04/04

You know why you can't get it right? Because you stress too much! Tell yourself that you can fix the problem and relax and do it slowly! You want to rush it, but don't, firstly you have to relax and then do it! Work an hour or two after work to fix it. You will never get it right stressing this much! The more you stress the less you can fix it! The more you relax and think positive, the more you will get right!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: :) | 2007/04/04

Still sounds pretty normal to me, you f* up at work, move on, if they lost confidence in you, OK. And they dont want your help. OK.
Concentrate on what you can do today. RIGHT, now it seems you cant even make a cuppa coffee without spilling it. ....Calm down and accept you made a mistake , The fact the mistake is unforgivable, dont give yourself so much credit, I think its a guy called GOD that decided what is unforgiving and what not and stating the obvious! you not him .
Go outside, breathe in some nice fresh air.....look at a tree or something and inhale and exhale till you feel dizzy.
Then start again.

Reply to :)
Posted by: Twig | 2007/04/04

The mistake I made effects one of my colleagues and the boss told her to fix it. They have lost all confidence in me. They didn’t even ask me to do it, but I'm trying to sort out the mess. It is a nightmare. The mistake I made is unforgivable. It is only one in a series of mistakes. It seems the harder I try the more mistakes I make. I’m taking medication for Bipolar Disorder, but that is no excuse. I really hate myself and need to be punished.

Reply to Twig
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/04

and DONT see it as a failure - because just the fact that the bosses trust you to fix it is good - if they had no faith in yu they would have fired you. So they obviously know you can do the job.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Lauren Auder ™ | 2007/04/04

Hey Twig....

Dont feel bad n dont let it get 2 u. The best thing 4 u 2 do now is have a chat 2 u'r seniors explain 2 them that u had a mishap but u r working on fixing it. Ask them 4 advise as 2 how 2 best approach the situation as u wud value their input. In that way u will do it like they wanted it done n they will just hav 2 b satisfied.

Hold u'r head up high .... evn da darkest cloud has a silver lining.

Reply to Lauren Auder ™
Posted by: :) | 2007/04/04

Chill, everyone makes mistakes...especially at work. So stop carrying on like its the end of the world, popping pills to solve WORLD HUNGER, ja thats something else , but a mistake at work, pls man!
Breathe and realise your HUMAN, does not matter the size of the mistake, you can fix it, with a little help. And tell your boss if you need more time.
:)

Reply to :)
Posted by: Britty | 2007/04/04

What kind of mistake was it? Is there no-one who can help you get it right or are you not part of a team? I had a boss once who told me that mistakes are not car crashes and can usually be rectified. If you start now correcting the problem it might take you longer than what your bosses would like but surely its more important to get it right in the end? Go easy on yourself and stop stuffing yourself with pills as those pills are not going to get the work done! Take care.

Reply to Britty