Question
Posted by: John | 2004/12/20

Work

I think work is depressing me. I am trying my best to do the best I can, but all I get is negativity. Everybody is criticizing me behind my back; nobody has the guts to say anything to my face. I have successfully completed a project with foreign funding. The funders praised the results. The funders are happy, but it appears that people around is not. I must take on a new project, give it form and function, but I feel unmotivated. I hear from many people the things that are said about me, and it is hurtful and untrue. A few people is going around and forming other people's opinions about me. My working environment is unprofessional and it is affecting my personal life. I don't want to leave as I want to work here, but I am starting to doubt my own ability. I feel that if I leave I will admit defeat, but by staying I am going through hell.

Excellent advice from Dizzy Des. Try not to be so bothered by what others locally think, hey're probably just intensely jealous. And you've been given a new project --- and they weren't. See the jealousy of the unworthy as a compliment. There seems to be no reason to doubt your own abilities, only theirs. Don't leave --- let them do so, if they really object to someone else succeeding

2
Posted by: fred | 2004/12/20

john
what dismays me the most with work and l suppose life is that most people never mature to a degree to enable themselves to shed their "little brat" bully, tittle-tattle, spiteful etc etc childhood persona. I’ve got by by not allowing their antics more brain space than they deserve.

Reply to fred
Posted by: Dizzy Des | 2004/12/20

Firstly, leaving your current job is far from the right solution!! No matter where you go you there will be people who are jealous of your achievements, and that seems to be the case with the people around you right now. Your funders were happy and they were the people you were delivering the service to. At the end of the day, you need to be happy with the work you did, and I think you are, so be proud of that!!!! Use this pride in yourself to find the motivation for your next project.

Secondly - DON'T TAKE YOUR WORK HOME WITH YOU!! I know it is very hard to do, but when you work, you work, when you play, you play. Those 2 aspects should never mix. If you enjoy your job and you are good at it, then focus on your talents. Do your work and don't listen to other people. They are probably just jealous. I know it doesn't make it easy to work on a daily basis, but like I said - just use your pride in yourself and the satisfaction of your customers to find the motivation you need.

All the best!

Dizzy Des

Reply to Dizzy Des