Question
Posted by: Depressed | 2004/10/31

Work

I am now almost two years in this job. I feel disrespected. I try my best but it doesn’t seem to work. I cannot seem to fit in with the work culture. I am a project manager, and was given a project to manage since I started. I had a 35% cut in budget, lost three staff members, yet the project was successfully completed. People does not listen to me as it is going against what they perceive to be right. It appears you must say the right things to "in". I cannot see myself doing what other think I must do against what I am employed to do. A few other people, who are also lone voices, gave up. It is weighing very heavily on me. I was told by my doctor and psychologist that I am depressed and the work is the issue. How do I get people to respect me. I am not loud mouthed, and it appears that the harder you scream the more you are heard.

With your skills in project management, coming in on lower budget and personnel, you ought to be in demand elsewhere, where you might be better respected. A counsellor could help you examine the situation fruitfully, so as to be better able to identify what's not working, how you might remedy it, and how to be prepared, when the chance comes for a better move, to make the most of it and avoid a repetition of the present problems.
Maybe also work on issues of self-esteem and assertiveness ( the subtle but important difference between assertiveness and aggression is valuable !

1
Posted by: Jackadeejack | 2004/10/31

This would be one for the doc.. though:
I did discover today on amazon.com a few good books on how to minipulate situations and read body language . I think this might help you in some way.. Understand people better, see what they are thinking and thus minipulate the situation as you feel.

Reply to Jackadeejack