Question
Posted by: Katew | 2005/07/22

wonder drug

Hello my son has BiPola and has just had a relapse after 3 years he is 36 and was diagnosed at around 31
My daughter has been investigating new methods of treatment and has found a 'Wonder Drug' by the name of SEROQUEL
do you have more information on this ?
I am interested if it is available in South Africa
and what is the cost of the drug
thanks a million Kate

Seroquel IS available in South Africa, it is very expensive, and it is NOT a wonder drug ( we don't do wonder drugs ). It was introduced to treat schizophrenia, for which it has been shown by research to be effective. It is also used by some to manage some cases of Bipolar Disorder ; but there are quite a number of other newish drugs which can also be helpful in treating Bipolar disorders --- best for him to see a good local psychiatrits for a re-assessment, and a discussion of the whole rainge of treatment options