Posted by: anonymous | 2008/08/18

Woman' s Health

Hi Dr. My problem is of a somewhat embarassing nature. I am experiencing pain of my external genitalia, more specifically, right labia minora, which is usually associated with swelling of a little ' flap'  on the labia, slightly inferior &  lateral to the clitoris. This is not a constant pain, &  I have noticed that it mostly occurs at the time of my period. The swelling sometimes results in this flap reaching a size of 0.5x0.5cm &  is in most cases associated with a throbbing pain. I am 31 years old, sexually inactive, &  have not been to a gynae. What could be causing this pain? Is there reason for me to be concerned or is this normal?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Anonymous
You may have a cyst or low grade infection in one of the bartholin glands in the labia - please go to your gyne or gp for examination if this happens again, the gland sometimes need to be drained under local or general anaesthetic as this can cause an abcess which can be very painful.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.