Posted by: anonymous | 2008/08/18

Woman' s Health

Hi Dr. My problem is of a somewhat embarassing nature. I am experiencing pain of my external genitalia, more specifically, right labia minora, which is usually associated with swelling of a little ' flap'  on the labia, slightly inferior &  lateral to the clitoris. This is not a constant pain, &  I have noticed that it mostly occurs at the time of my period. The swelling sometimes results in this flap reaching a size of 0.5x0.5cm &  is in most cases associated with a throbbing pain. I am 31 years old, sexually inactive, &  have not been to a gynae. What could be causing this pain? Is there reason for me to be concerned or is this normal?

Dear Anonymous
You may have a cyst or low grade infection in one of the bartholin glands in the labia - please go to your gyne or gp for examination if this happens again, the gland sometimes need to be drained under local or general anaesthetic as this can cause an abcess which can be very painful.