Posted by: CINDY | 2004/01/06


I see many guys at the gym who are built very well. They lift very heavy weights. Being a woman, how do I build the same way if I cont pick up those weights? Are they taking some supplement to help burn fat and build muscle. I dont want to take anything like steroids. Im gyming to be healthy. Looking good is just a bonus. What should I take and how often do I need to gym. This is what I am doing at the moment.

Monday: 1 hour treadmill for cardio. Heart rate average at 168.
Tuesday: Lower body for 40 minutes. Teadmill for 20 minutes.
Wednesday: -
Thursday: 1 hour treadmill.
Friday: Lower body for 40 minutes. Treadmill for 20 minutes with a high incline (7) but a slow speed of 6.
Saturday: Kata box class for 1 hour.

I do stomach for 10 minutes every time Im at the gym. I REALLY want great looking legs, so Im not doing strenght upper body for now. Im more concerned about my lower and my cardio fitness. Will I build doing this. Im 26, female, 1.68, weight 53kg. Is twice a week for strenght on legs going to be enough to build good muscle?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageBodybuilding


I notice you only do lower body at the gym-is your upper body to your liking? For training to be healthy you would want your upper body to be healthy, strong, toned and in balance with the rest of your body too.

All in all your program looks fine but try to add upper body to your regimen. As for supplements and weight training for women because your frames are smaller and you need less obviously you will eat less and train differently.

For a proper eating plan go to Jacqui at the Sports Nutrition Forum and ask her for her input. As for supplements a normal meal replacement shake should do the trick.

When it comes to weight training for ladies you need to do high reps with light weights. This will most certainly help with toning and even certain levels of strength.

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.