Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2005/12/07

Wobbly tummy

I would like to know what exercises could I do to flatten my tummy and tighten the muscles. I had 2 C-sections in 1999 and 2000 and I am still trying to strengthen my muscles. I currently partake in spinning sessions twice a week. II weigh 66kg and my height is 1.67m.

Hi Gillian

I think that you are doing the right type of exercise, but the problems are possibly the duration, the frequency and the intensity. Ideally, you need more than just 2 sessions a week. This means that you spend more time not exercising than you actually do exercise, and just increasing from 2 to 4 may help you. Also, the intensity needs to be pretty high - not so high that you are exhausted after training, but high enough that the session really burns energy. Finally, the session should last 45 to 60 minutes, which I assume you are doing because these classes are usually this long. So, my advice is to address these issues first. Secondly, you should be doing some sort of toning exercise for the abs. Crunches, situps and supervised classes like V-core (at virgin active, I'm not sure if you are at a gym or not) or a pilates class will help with the muscles you are trying to tone. I must point out that all the situps in the world won't help if you are not doing regular cardio as well, so make that your priority, and situps and crunches etc. can be fitted in around it.