Question
Posted by: jax | 2006/11/12

wkend cravings a 'killer'

i have been on a strict LOW GI diet (by eating yoghurts, SHAPE meal replacement, LOW GI seed bread, fish, chicken, fruit & veg, limited amounts of pasta & rice) for the past 7 months and have managed to lose 19kg, with about 4/5kg to go til my goal. having 'cheated' a few times, yes.
I do spinning classes (45min) 4 times per week and do other cardio and light free weighs (20 - 45min) for the remaining 2 or 3 days per week, <effectively training for 6 or 7 days a week>
i feel fit and healthy but recently on the weekends, i've been craving "bad" or HIGH GI foods, i would feel like toast with peanut butter & strawberry jam, big bowl of rice krispies, white bread rolls / buns (which i NEVER eat) and so, eventually i give in... ;o( making me feel worthless and disgusted... of course, this delays me from reaching my goal sooner... so my cycle starts again on monday morning.. LOW GI diet 101.
WHY do i get these cravings ? and what can i do, not to give in to them.. ?
I have also got slight low blood pressure, which causes a fainting, dizzy feeling when i get up and i've been having breathlessness during extreme spinning classes.
my GP has just did blood test to test if i perhaps don't have underactive thyroid.
someone said perhaps my metabolism is raised and that's why i crave these HIGH GI, dirty foods ?
fitness doc, can you please explain ?
thank you so much

Hi Jax

I suspect that the cravings have a very real and very important origin, in that they are probably your body telling you that it needs the energy rapidly. I'm a big believer in listening to the body, and that's why I'm not a huge proponent of the Low GI diet or any other diet like this. Of course, I think that low GI foods are good and have their place, but not at the expense of other foods, because your body needs everything, in moderation. So my advice is that you probably need to address the diet issue. I'm not a dietician, though, so I am probably not the ideal person to advise on this one. My advice is that you actually consult with a dietician. i think that you will find that your blood sugar levels are probably dropping because your diet is energy restricted - you are simply not getting in enough energy. I have worked with athletes in the past who experience this and the problem is easily solved with some fruits as a mid afternoon or morning snack. That would be my advice - satisfy the cravings, don't deny them, just don't go and binge. Being absolutely 100% specific does not really help - the body is too finely tuned to fool that way. But they are not dirty foods, that is certainly not true.