Question
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/11/22

Witty Replies re salary jibes

Can anyone help me with a sharp comeback? My friend in our department is admin support, and her friend is admin support for the HR department. The situation is I'm considerably higher qualified than them. The HR friend constantly makes comments about me and my "high" salary (insinuating that I don't deserve it). Both are single mothers with kids my age. I just get so irritated! Mrs HR has no debt, her house and car are paid off, no kids at home. She does however drive 500km every weekend to visit her boyfriend...and then moans that she can't get by every month...and rubs it in that I do... Anyway, can't you guys help me with a come back remark. The best I've done so far was get up and leave...and then I hear them lower their voices and skinner on...

I thought the folks in HR were supposed to solve problems, not to cause them. Some people just refuse to take responsibility for the results of the decisions they themselves have made in life. Ms Thang's suggestion sounds a good one.

6
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/22

Hi M,

Seeing as you mentioned that you're in a senior position to them. make use of that monkey up the tree joke & say that you need that extra money so they'd all look up at the best butt there...

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Mona | 2004/11/22

Tell them no time for chatting, you need to go make a list of what to do with all your money.

Reply to Mona
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/11/22

Thanks so far - let me just say that this usually happens during my lunch break - Mrs HR comes and sits in OUR "lounge" area and then the comments start...

Reply to Mindful
Posted by: Annie | 2004/11/22

Pay peanuts and u get monkeys !!!!

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Ms Thang | 2004/11/22

Just get up and tell them they are right - you receive a big load of money and thus need to go and earn it. No time for idle chit chat as you won't feel too pleasant about people insinuating you don't deserve your salary. Then leave.

Reply to Ms Thang
Posted by: Mona | 2004/11/22

Firstly, its in very bad taste for the HR support to talk about salaries, as they are highly confidential.

Next time they have a snotty comment, tell them you dont get paid anywhere close to what you are worth!

Or rub it in that you are so glad that you were able to make such a success of your life.

Reply to Mona