Question
Posted by: previous alcoholic | 2004/11/01

Withdrawal and affect on the mind

I have made a decision to stop drinking.
We used to drink every night and every weekend and I'm simply tired of hangovers and not performing at peak. I want to spend time with my son and have a healthy mind and body.
Today is my 4th day of complete and total abstinence. And I feel awful, my muscles are so tired and I feel so weak - in body and mind!! I feel like I could collpase, in bosy and mind.
I feel insecure, unsure and completely weird. Like I don't belong here, and I can;t think. I don;'t even want to see a drink again, because I really don;t like alcohol anymore, simple.
Is this normal for withdrawal, though? And now long will this go on? I will not drink again, but how much longer before I start being normal and my strong self again?!?

Congratulations on making an excellent decision. Now find the guts and determination to keep to your decision, and get proper professional help as this isnt easy all on your own. See a shrink, and enlist in AA. Withdrawal is unpleasant, and can last a wek or two.
Keep up with your good intentions, and keep contact with us in this forum to let us know how well you're doing. And drink enough water, meanwhile, and vitamin supplements.

1
Posted by: TW | 2004/11/01

WELL DONE!!! You have made such an important choice, not an easy one but still...aweosome

You will see your life has so mcuh more meaning to it and you can start appreciating things ... one tip though when haivng a bad day or going through a tough time you will prob be tempted to go back dont do this... you need to start new routines in your life so that you arent drawn to drink agian... for example:

You just gotta take one day at a time and in the beginning you will feel terrible, its norm your body is re-adjusting...

You need to focus on something that can help you out like start going to gym after work or whenever you have free time

If you would come home after work at watch tv straight away change that go to gym or walks or start on supper ect

ALl the best and remember if you are struggling try go to a few AA groups they are trained and can offer help :)

God bless

Reply to TW