Question
Posted by: kas | 2004/02/17

wit meel en produkte

diet doc

elke keer as ek koek of tertjies nie eers veel nie 1 tertjie of 'n klein stukkie koek eet voel ek nie so lekker na die tyd nie naar en sommer net mislik ek voel dieselfde met volroom melk en ook witbrood - ek kry ook hoofpyne daarvan ek voel ook gewoonlik vol energie tot en met 12:00 se kant in die dag is daar iets wat ek kan eet wat my energie sal verskaf.

kan dit wees dat my liggaam net nie met junk food reageer nie
want ek eet gesond maar voel regtig sleg as ek net nou en dan bietjie afwyk en dit is net seker dinge wat my so laat voel gewoonlik iets met wit meel of "pastry" goed

Beste Kas
Dit is moontlik dat jy aan lae bloedsuiker ly en dat hierdie produkte jou insulienvlakke te veel stimuleer. Ek wil aanbeveel dat jy 'n dr spreek en vra dat jou bloedsuiker- en insulienvlakke getoet moet word. Indien jy wel aan lae bloedsuiker of selfs insulienweerstand ly, dan moet jy verkieslik 'n kliniese dieetkundige spreek. Enigeen met insulienprobleme behoort 'n kliniese dieetkundige te spreek sodat sy/hy 'n dieet vir jou kan uitwerk - die dieet is een van die vernaamste dele van die behandeling - (kyk na die Lys Dieetkundiges op hierdie Webwerf of skakel 082-593-0276, of stuur ‘n e-pos aan sscharf@nhcltd.com of kyk in jou plaaslike telefoongids of Geel Bladsye om ‘n dieetkundige in jou gebied te vind).
Sterkte

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nul | 2004/02/18

Well, your body is telling you something. Don't eat food that contains refined wheat.

The problem is that refining the wheat removes all the nutrients, and especially the enzymes. Without the naturally occurring enzymes to assist your body to break down the starch, you experience difficulty digesting it.

Some people have more of a reaction than others.

A few generations ago, people used to take crushed wheat (roller milling hadn't been invented yet) and soak it in water overnight. That allows the enzymes in the wheat to act on the starch. Then they would bake bread with the crushed wheat. That adds up to a nutritious food.

The bread we buy in the supermarket is so devoid of nutrients that the Government make the manufacturers add back four of the fourteen nutrients that they removed by milling the wheat, and they then call it "fortified".

Milk is another story. In order to increase the shelf life, it is first pasteurised, then homogenised. Pasteurisation destroys the enzymes in the milk, and denatures the proteins. Homogenisation pulverises the fat molecules, and makes them small enough to pass through the intestinal membranes.

You now have a product that is barely recognisable to your body as a food. You also get "foreign" proteins carried into your bloodstream by the smaller fat molecules. These foreign proteins actually cause your immune system to react in order to destroy them.

Yes, it can be that your body only reacts to junk food. Your body is designed to run on a "primative" diet. That means that sugar, refined flour and pasturised milk are all harmful to us.

There's plenty you can eat. Meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit and nuts come to mind. Also, quality fats (excluding margarine and other hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated vegetable fats). Whole grains too, but that one is tricky. You generally don't get anything resembling whole grains in a supermarket. Usually you have to go to a health shop for those.

I once asked a friend, whose father was at that time the production director at Wainstein (the Tastic Rice producer), why brown rice is more expensive than white rice. My thinking was that the brown rice doesn't have to go through the Sortex machine, so it should cost LESS. He told me that brown rice is more expensive, "because it is a health product". The food industry apparently knows that the stuff that they sell us is junk.

A handful of nuts (say 50 grams) makes an excellent energy snack, especially almonds.

Try things like a tin of tuna, a salad, and a dressing made with olive oil for lunch. You'll have plenty of energy, and because it doesn't make your glucose level go up and down like a rollercoaster, you won't get huge carbohydrate cravings an hour later.

In other words, get some protein, quality fats and a MODERATE amount of quality carbs, and you will have plenty of energy to get you through the day.

Reply to Nutrition Nul