Question
Posted by: Olivia | 2007/04/16

Wish the earth could swallow me!

i get very shy when i have to speak or meet new people. i have this intense fear of going to social events, meetings or anywhere that i have to meet new people. my heart feels like it gonna jump out of my chest. it feels like i can't breath. it feels as if i'm about to die & i wish the earth could just swallow me. it has gotten worse over the last few month. i feel like i want to stay in my house and never leave it. wats going on with me?

Sounds very like a Social Anxiety Disorder, which responds very well and rather rapidly, to a combination of CBT style counselling and perhaps some specific medications.

2
Posted by: Britty | 2007/04/17

Olivia I know how you feel - I have to go to a garden party (women only) and I don't know a single person. I'm new in town and would love to go with someone just to feel comfortable. Of the few people I know here no-one wants to go! But I/ve decided to go as if no-one is friendly I can always leave, its not dentistry, I'm not committing myself to anything and if it doesn't work out I don't have to go again. So on Wednesday 25 April I will probably be standing on my own smiling like an idiot! But it will give me a sense of accomplismnet knowing I've tried. Yes its going to be awkward but I am going to put it down to experience. Yes I also prefer the cocoon of my home but "no man is an island" and I have to make the effort. Good luck and try your best!!

Reply to Britty
Posted by: jacky | 2007/04/16

i think you can make a great comedian. are you atleast funny with the people you feel confortable with, take that platform and beat your fear.

Reply to jacky