Question
Posted by: John | 2007/07/13

Wine for Medicinal Purposes

Doc, I had my cholestrol levels checked this week and the results are not good: I have a count of 7.5 (below 5 is desirable, of course). I've been put on a course of tabs (the name escapes me now but its the obvious oen and i am sure its the one you are thinnking of), and given all the usual advice, which I am taking very seriously.

My doc says to have a glass or two of red wine per day. I am not a drinker, really, as I only imbibe on social occassions. But, being brave and prepared to make sacrifices in the name of medicine, I will, dammit, drink a glass of red wine (or two, as recommended) every day.

Could I drink port instead? Or sherry? The latter appeals far more to me than the former. If I can, how much sherry/port si the equivalent of the prescription wine?

Dear John
They specify red wine - has something to do with the grape skin and fermentation - so I am really not sure about port or sherry! It is also found in olive oil and soybeans.