Question
Posted by: SH | 2004/03/10

WINDOW PERIOD

I'd like to know how long does it it takes for the HIV virus to show in your blood?

See I had unprotected sex last year on the 19th of September and then went for an HIV test on the 17th of December and it was negative and never had an unprotected sex again after that. I had a lot of stress lately and have terrible headaches and now i remembered that a friend of mine who's HIV+ started with headaches. Now i also feel a pain next to my lright lower jaw and not sure whether it is a small lump as when i press hard i feel a very small painful inflammation. People with virus do get these nhe?

Do you think that they overlooked the virus that time and i should go for another test again? Please help me i am so afraid of this disease.

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

The test you had would have showed if you were infected. If you are still worried please go and have another test to put your mind at rest

2
Posted by: ScaredOne | 2004/03/10

I would say those results are conclusive.Just to put your mind to rest , go again now to get your final negative result.Symptoms are never the way to go with HIV.You obviously stressed and are to bound to have headaches.As for the pain in your lower jaw , it could be anything.Let the doctor/dentist check it for you.Analysing symptoms will drive you nuts and eventually you will convince yourself you're infected and become so scared you won't test.Youthen live a life of fear, stress and anxiety...which will definitely make you ill.Everytime you're about to put yourself in a risky situation remember the anguish you're going through now .

Reply to ScaredOne
Posted by: yebo | 2004/03/10

For most people it takes up to 3 months to produce antibodies and +- 2 weeks for the virus to show in your body. It is uncommon to take longer than three months but to be sure of your status some clinics would recommend that you come back after 3 months of the initial test.

You spoke of the HIV virus and not antibodies and I'm just curious to know what type of test did you use?

Reply to yebo