Question
Posted by: Neville | 2008/06/18

Wind

Hi my son was born 6 weeks prem. His birth weight was 2,375kg and he is now at 2,6kg 3 weeks later. He seems to be doing very well and drinks 50ml of extracted breast milk every 3 hours. Most feeds we struggle with wind and very often he will burp up some milk while we wind him (Sometimes it's alot). The winding process can often take up to an hour or more and although he doesn't cry he moans alot. We find that he has an enormous amount of flatulence although his tummy is regular. Is this normal? What can we do to assist with the wind and are their specific winding techniques that are more effective?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Neville
Yes, unfortunately a premmie has a lazy gut and this is usually the cause of flatulence, winds and crampiness. It would be best if you could start feeding your baby from the breast, since this will help that he get less air while sucking (feeding). If he finished his feed and has a wind you can just lay him down on his side (preferably left) and allow the wind to come out on its own time. If he remains uncomfortable it works well to do gentle tummy massage in a clockwise direction over his tummy (rather before a feed if you can). Winding rechniques that I find useful is placing him on his tummy over your leg or let him sit upright and support his chin with your thumb and index finger and the other hand support his back. Then gently move him from side to side, about shoulder width.
Hope this is helpful.
Welma

1
Posted by: Areg | 2008/09/29

Thanks,I just want ot testify to this your contribution..The method works for my 3months old baby girl prem.But she still find it difficult to sleep in the night ..So ,her mom has to plce her on her back wth the help of two pillow on the bed and tying her on her back,till she sleep off.Most of the time whe she poo ,the baby is some how relief..I will appreciates if their is any other way to suit her condition.
Thanks.
Adesegun

Reply to Areg