Question
Posted by: Miek | 2005/07/26

Will this help to start eating again

Dear Diet Doc
I suffer from anorexia-1.55m tall and weigh 38kg. I eat 3 meals a day,but I know it's not enough to get to a normal weight. I've been to psychologist and dietician and tend to fall back in my own ways. I am deperately trying to get better-so scared for what i am doing to myself. Started by trying to eat one treat a day, like 1 cookie or a very small piece of chocolate as these are the foods I am scared of and realise it doesn't make me fat overnight. Only thing is, i cannot go beyond this small amount as i get into a panick and stop eating again if it was to much for my mind to handle. Can i start joining the WeighLess eating programme to make me healthy again, as its lots of food and feel safe that i am not gonna explode from fat overnight or how do i get back to a normal weight again? I want to help myself and know i can do it. Just need your advice and anybody's advice who's reading this.

Dear Miek
Please for your own sake go back to the psychologist and the dietitian. You are not yet over the anorexia and your panic attacks when you think you have transgressed by eating a minute piece of cake or chocolate are indicative of unresolved psychological pathology. You can't beat this thing on your own. Get that help because your thought processes all point to deep problems and untreated anorexic ideas. Forget about any slimming programmes right now until you have sorted out your life and are at last totally free of this dreaded disease.
Take great care

3
Posted by: Kabous | 2005/07/28

Dear Miek,

We all have problems of one kind or another; some bigger some smaller. What is important is that we do not allow ourselves to be distracted by the prevailing sircumstances but to stay focussed on the goals we set for ourselves.
Set achieveable goals for yourself and don' be too hard on yourself if you don't manage it at first. Remember: "Rome wasn't built in one day." You are now in a rebuilding phase following what this dreaded desease took away from you. The mere fact that you are at this point in your life is comparable to Lance Armstrong overcomming cancer and winning the Tour D'France. BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU HAVE ACHIEVED THIS FAR and stay focussed.
You have achieved so much till now and YOU ARE A WINNER ALREADY! Be sure that the rest of the way will not be easy but by believeing in yourself and your abillities and with the right guidence and support YOU CAN GO ALL THE WAY!

Miek, if you need anyone to talk to or if you would just like to share your thoughts please do mail me at: grbsecATwebmail.co.za.

Cheers.

Reply to Kabous
Posted by: Miek | 2005/07/27

Dear Kabous
How wonderful to hear there is someone out there in this very dark world. I thank you for believing in me and will keep you updated in my way to recovery.

Reply to Miek
Posted by: Kabous | 2005/07/27

Dear Miek,

The first steps you are taking is admireable. You are very brave and need all the support and encouragement you can get.
You are absolutely on the right track. See a clinical dietician who will help you work out a healthy and balanced diet to suit your needs. Make regular visits to your psycologist for advice and guidence. It is like you say, you must keep your mind focussed on your ultimate goal and that is to get better and stronger. What is also important is to have a good support system - friends and family that are supportive and positive and share your vision for yourself. BE STRONG; BE POSITIVE; BE COURAGIOUS AND BELIEVE IN YOUR ABILITY TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS.

Please do keep us updated about your progress because we would also like to give you our support wherever possible.
GOOD LUCK!

Reply to Kabous